Saturday 21 April 2012

Blog11 Celebrities & Bipolar









Sometimes we think we are the only ones going through our 'mental illness' and battling bipolar disorder.  We feel alone, isolated and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

We don't dream that the rich/famous/royalty are going through some kind of mental illness.  Surely they are invincible?  Aren't they?

Maybe ten or so years ago I would have agreed, but now, knowing what I know, that certainly is not the case.

Princess Diana had an eating disorder, and the sad losses of Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse and Whitney Houston are proof that it is not just us 'ordinary people' who suffer, as drug addiction is also classed as a mental illness.

Take a look at the video of some of the famous people who do have, or did have, bipolar disorder.  You might just be surprised



I think this video was created in America, so you might not know some of the people, but there is enough you will have heard of.  And do you know what they all have in common : great intelligence.

Some of our greatest poets, writers, singers and even television presenters suffer with the illness, which should make us feel 'not so alone.'

Over the last 5 to ten years, celebrities have openly admitted they have the disorder, a few saying they want to help other sufferers.

The most memorable celebrity in my mind is Stephen Fry.



He has made various programmes and a documentary, in particular, highlighting bipolar and how it has affected his life.

Here is an interview with him talking about the illness.



The above may be quite hard to watch and take in for a sufferer, but Stephen is speaking from his own experiences and by those he has interviewed.

What we have got to remember is that bipolar can be managed, as I have said in previous blogs; by taking your medications, having a confidant who you can tell anything to and by keeping a mood chart so you may be able to notice possible triggers in the future and try to combat a really 'bad' episode.

Here is the documentary Stephen did on bipolar a few years back which makes interesting viewing.

Secret life of a manic depressive part1




Secret life of a manic depressive part2



As he has said, he was expelled from school, disappeared after a play he was in was panned by critics and turned out to be a flop, so he decided to just 'disappear' abroad for a while, not telling anybody.

People didn't know where he was, and thought the worst.

Stephen has admitted he hadn't taken any medication up to the time of the documentary from first being diagnosed, which was a period of eleven years.  He asks himself "Is this the right thing?"  In my opinion I think he should be on medication as nobody knows if there is an 'episode' around the corner waiting to manifest, and to what degree it will be.  But some people think they can manage without it.  I know I couldn't.

The next person I want to talk about is Kerry Katona.  She certainly hasn't had it easy over the past few years; with the breakup of her marriages, going through bankruptcy.

Here is a clip of her on This Morning a few years ago.



Kerry was 'slurring' all through the interview, which Fern and Phil were concerned about.  She admitted she hadn't been drinking and said it was the medication she was taking for her bipolar.

I must admit, I have had times when my medication has made me slur, especially the diazepam which can lead people to think you have been drinking.

Next is an interview on This Morning a few years later where she explains what was 'going on' during the interview.




Kerry has said that when she was doing the first interview it was purely the medication making her slur.  She was also in a 'dark' place with the break down of her marriage, leading to her taking drugs.

I myself turned to alcohol when my bipolar was at its worst, and I didn't like the person I was, and it certainly wasn't agreeing with my medication.  I have been clean from alcohol now for 3 years and 1 month.

Kerry has weened herself off her medication, without advice from her doctor.  I must stress that if you are thinking of taking yourself off of your medication, you MUST seek advice from your doctor or psychiatrist as it can be dangerous.

I am glad Kerry is in a 'happy' place now, we all deserve to be!

Frank Bruno has been very open about his bipolar.  The signs were there, in retrospect, says Frank and his daughter.
After watching him talking to Piers Morgan about his mental health, and when he was sectioned, it really does make you think.

Here is an interview with him on Lorraine talking about bipolar and the stigma that still surrounds it.




Frank's marriage broke up and he felt so 'alone'.  He would try and sleep in his boxing ring he had in the garden and his behaviour was becoming more erratic.  This led to him being sectioned and subsequently being diagnosed bipolar.

He talks about the stigma that is still going on today about mental health problems, and as Lorraine says, which is such a classic example which I have touched on, if you had a broken arm (which is visible) you would get sympathy from people, but I'm afraid that's not always the case with mental health.

Frank has recently been re-admitted for further treatment, but has now been discharged and is now on the mend.

I hope you feel better soon Frank.

The last person I want to discuss is Catherine Zeta Jones.

She thought she just had depression until she was admitted to hospital for some tests.  Take a look at the following video.




The above video discusses the differences between type I & type II bipolar.  It also hints that certain 'stressful' situations can bring on bipolar.  Catherine had a year when her husband Michael was diagnosed with cancer, he was sued by his ex wife and his son went to prison.

I have previously said in my research that certain situations in life can 'trigger' bipolar.

The next video is pretty similar, but shows the 'emphasis' that Catherine wants to share her experiences to help others.




Catherine has been quoted as saying "If I can help just one person by revealing i'm bipolar, then it's been worth it."

As you can see, bipolar isn't just something us 'ordinary' people have.  Anyone can get it.  It's like autism, the most intelligent people can get it, and you will find a lot of people that have it are very creative people.

Also, all the people I have mentioned want to get the message across that the stigma should end, and hoping that them coming forward will help others seek the help they might not have done otherwise.


Well that's blog 11 folks.

If you want to get in touch with me, here are the following ways.








Deanhollett@aol.com
Beany01843@gmail.com

I would still like volunteers for guest bloggers.  Let me know if you are interested.

Take care,

Deano

Saturday 21st April 2011


1 comment:

  1. Hey Deano,

    I came across your blog via twitter. I just wanted to say thanks for the informative post. I watched the first ten minutes of the Stephen Fry movie and I'm looking forward to watching the rest tonight. I think it's great to bring attention and awareness to bipolar issues.

    I'm the owner of http://www.disabilitytaxservice.ca/ which operates here in Canada. We provide free assessments for the Disability Tax Credit, RDSP and other benefits for people with bipolar. Check it out when you have a minute and let me know what you think.

    I'd also be interested in doing a guest blog post. If you're interested, let me know.

    Peter C. Sokoloski

    ReplyDelete